- KALEIDOSCOPE LAB is the world’s first bespoke luxury hospitality ignition programme from the Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, developed in collaboration with SRI International (Stanford Research Institute)
- Kaleidoscope won the Innovation Award from the China Hospitality and Travel Innovation Association (CHTA) at a prestigious “Future Travellers” industry event in Shanghai
- The Awards are given to outstanding companies or individuals who have enhanced the travellers experience, improved business efficiency or created a beautiful lifestyle
6th June, 2019, HONG KONG – Kaleidoscope Lab, the incubation programme developed and launched by The Hongkong and Shanghai hotels, Limited (HSH) in 2018, has won the Innovation Award at the China Hospitality and Travel Innovation Association’s Future Travellers event in Shanghai, attended by senior executives from the top 100 hospitality and travel companies.
Ms. Jing Zhu, The founder and Chair of CHTA, commented on the award: “Kaleidoscope is a unique programme allowing startups to develop a proof of concept and actually get their technology into a hotel within a 12-week programme. We are thrilled that a company like The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels is willing to work with startups to develop innovation for the future and their innovative new ignition programme was a deserving candidate for this award.”
Sally Osborne, Director of Innovation and Kaleidoscope Lab of The Hongkong Shanghai Hotels, Limited, said “We are delighted to win this prestigious award which recognises our efforts to close the gap between luxury hospitality and the fresh ideas of innovative young startups. HSH is a 150-year old company but we are really embracing the trends of the future, and this programme is truly an example of heritage meeting innovation.”
In January 2019, ASA and Neoma were named as the winners of the inaugural Kaleidoscope programme, following an intense pitch at the iconic Felix rooftop restaurant at The Peninsula Hong Kong. First launched in summer 2018, the programme attracted over 70 start-up applicants. Six shortlisted finalists pitched their ideas in front of a panel of HSH executives, industry experts and VIPs. The two winning companies include:
- ASA: The lamp that breathes – an air purification lamp technology, that can be embedded and used within existing lighting designs. The air purification solution detects indoor air quality and eliminates harmful pollutants using Ozone Catalytic Oxidation (OCO) technology.
- Neoma: An Artificial Intelligence (AI) platform in the form of an assistant dedicated to offering a more human touch through technology, with GAIA technology offering insights to hotel staff at moments that matter. Fully GDPR compliant, with guest privacy as a top priority, it will send instant operational recommendations and information to hotel staff based on guest preferences, language and needs, allowing the hotel staff to further enhance the guest experience.
The startups will complete their proof of concepts by 14 June 2019 and are currently testing their technology and proof of concept in The Peninsula Hong Kong and The Peninsula Beijing. The next round of cohorts for Kaleidoscope will be announced late summer 2019 and will run until Q1 2020.
For further information on this release, please contact:
For more information on the Kaleidoscope programme, please contact Sally Osborne at:
Director, IT Technology Innovations
Tel: (852) 2840 7832/ 9767 9729
About China Hospitality and Travel Innovation Association
CHTA, China Hospitality and Travel Innovation Association is a non-profit organization which is aiming to build the industry innovation best practices and future platform by all talents here in China and worldwide, yet to connect echo systems together with leading edge technologies in making the travel and hospitality a much better & fun space.
CHTA’s mission is to connect global big travel eco systems partners , discover and accelerate disruptive technologies and future Unicorns.
More than 100+ corporates in travel and hospitality, both Chinese and international hotel groups, airlines, alternative transportation companies, alternative accommodation companies, OTAs etc. have been CHTA honored memberships since 2013.
About The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, Limited
Incorporated in 1866 and listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong (00045), HSH is the holding company of a Group which is engaged in the ownership, development and management of prestigious hotel, commercial and residential properties in key locations in Asia, the United States and Europe, as well as the provision of tourism and leisure, club management and other services. The Peninsula Hotels portfolio comprises The Peninsula Hong Kong, The Peninsula Shanghai, The Peninsula Beijing, The Peninsula Tokyo, The Peninsula New York, The Peninsula Chicago, The Peninsula Beverly Hills, The Peninsula Paris, The Peninsula Bangkok, and The Peninsula Manila. Projects under development include The Peninsula London, The Peninsula Yangon and The Peninsula Istanbul. The property portfolio of the Group includes The Repulse Bay Complex, The Peak Tower and St. John’s Building in Hong Kong; The Landmark in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; and 21 avenue Kléber in Paris, France. The clubs and services portfolio of the Group includes The Peak Tram in Hong Kong; Thai Country Club in Bangkok, Thailand; Quail Lodge & Golf Club in Carmel, California; Peninsula Clubs and Consultancy Services, Peninsula Merchandising, and Tai Pan Laundry in Hong Kong.